Friday, August 27, 2010

Happy Daffodil Day

Today (Friday 27 August 2010) is Daffodil Day. So this morning I shall send my husband down into little old Johnsonville to give money to a collector, and to get me a beautiful bunch of daffodils to take to Hamilton this afternoon.   Elliott and I are flying up with Emily, my Mum and step Dad to spend the weekend with my brother and his family which I'm really looking forward to.  It seems oddly appropriate that my Daffodil Day is going to be spent returning home and being with all of my family, and my dearest and closest friends who will be around for the afternoon (that's you Polly and Lisa!! x).  It wasn't planned this way - well, not by me anyway.  Maybe there were other forces at work here - and if that's the case then I'm grateful to them for it.  Spending this day - which I confess is a little emotional for me - with everyone who I love more than life itself will be very special to me.  But what will be even more special is when the time comes that Daffodil Day is no longer needed. That this disease is no longer a thief that steals our loved ones away from us without justice or permission.  And that a beautiful yellow daffodil becomes a symbol of the fight against Cancer that we won.  They also make pretty cupcake decorations......

3 comments:

  1. Thinking of you today Lee and everyone else who is or has in any way been connected to cancer. I am a 12yr survivor and this day makes me think back to what the disease did to my family at that time. Friends and family are hugely important as is a positive attitude. Kia kaha....John F

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you a hug Lee. Just because xx Liza

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lee, you are a lesson to all of us. You will never be forgotten. I hope your blog is published so that everyone can benefit from your wisdom and courage.

    ReplyDelete