Thursday, April 29, 2010

A postcard....

Throughout my adult life the road I have travelled along has, for the most part, been well mapped out and followed with a satisfying degree of success.  It has been smooth and wide, with beautiful scenery of stunning green fields filled with flowers of the most vibrant colours.  Over the years I have enjoyed not only plotting the course of this road, but travelling down it.  To date it has been an incredibly memorable journey of love and laughter.  Whilst walking along this road I met and married a gorgeous Scotsman, we travelled the world, and started a family.  This road had no potholes, no detours, and the ground was firm and true.  Recently, this road changed.  


The surface became rough and loose under foot, and what was once a safe passage very quickly became an unstable path. Where once I could see the perfectly straight and flat road before me stretch for miles ahead, I could now only see sharp corners and steep hills.  The fields of colour  became shadows that closed in on me, and lined my unstable path as far as it went.  So I did what any sensible traveller would do when the terrain changes.  I changed my footwear.  And I bought a postcard.


My path has proven to be a tricky one to negotiate, and for the majority of it I am proud to say that I managed it with strength and style.  I have paced myself when fatigued.  I have stopped and asked for directions when lost.  And I have brought with me a pot plant of beautiful flowers to remind me of the fields of gold from the road that lay behind me. And in my pocket are seeds waiting to be sown in the fields alongside the road that lies ahead of me at the end of this path.  And while my footing has been mostly strong and sure, a revelation came as a result of a stumble.


What I previously thought to be shadows of darkness along my path, I discovered to be the silhouette of people who had come to protect me from falling while on this perilous journey.  Their presence, so immediate and overwhelming, touched me more deeply than I can ever convey.  My family and friends, sacrificing anything to be within arms reach of me should I need their help.  My journey continues, and so to my husband, my mother and step father, my brother, my family in New Zealand and Scotland, my best friends and dearest work colleagues I send you a postcard.  But it doesn't say 'Wish You Were Here', because you already are.  And for that I thank you, and I love you.  Lee x

No comments:

Post a Comment